The start of a new school year is an exciting time. This year I have a 5th grader, a 2nd grader, and a kindergartener (plus a sweet baby at home). We have already been reading Back to School books, but here are my plans to make the first day of school a special occasion.
Back to School Feast (Sunday Night Dinner)
- Nice tablecloth and silver set
- Centerpiece: Mason jars filled with new pencils and/or colorful magnetic letters
- Chalkboard placemats (black paper as shown here)
- Grape Jelly Meatballs, white rice, mixed vegetables, homemade rolls
- Ice cream for dessert
Introduce ABCs and 123s for the school year
ABCs to remember each day
Always try your best and learn everyday.
Be kind and helpful.
After School 1-2-3 (inspired by this post)
1) Have a Snack
2) Complete your daily list and enjoy some free time
3) Share 3-4 things about your day at dinnertime: What did you learn today? What good did you do for someone today? What did you struggle with today? What was your favorite thing about today?
Father’s Blessings from Dad
Back to School Breakfast
- Menu: Breakfast cake, hard boiled eggs, orange juice/milk
- decorate with Dr. Seuss printable poster
- Take a photo holding the sign for the year (get an individual shot of each child and then a group photo).
- Complete the First Day of School Interview or this All About Me printable .
- Draw a self-portrait (template here or here)